Re: watchdog infrastructure

From: Wim Van Sebroeck
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 04:44:32 EST

Hi Arnd,

> I noticed you have been working on sanitizing the watchdog driver
> in your http://linux-watchdog.bkbits.net/linux-2.6-watchdog-experimental
> tree. What are your plans for this, i.e. do you see this as 2.7 only
> stuff or do you intend to merge the at least the infrastructure code
> so it can be used by future 2.6 drivers?

Plan is to build a generic watchdog driver that has a frame-work for all
watchdog drivers (or at least most of them). I think that it can be future
2.6 driver code. It's not a fundamental change :-).

> I'm asking because I have a new driver and I would prefer not to add
> yet another copy of the ioctl code, which I don't even know how
> to test properly.
>
> If we can get your watchdog.c into a mergable state (in which it
> arguably isn't at the moment), I could use that to base my driver
> on, while the other drivers get converted during 2.7.

Good idea. I'm first going to test iit on my different hardware (pcwd
+ i8xx + w83627hf). Once that's good enough we can start with the
generic watchdog driver and some converted drivers.

Did you have a look allready at the different watchdog operations in
include/linux/watchdog.h ?

Greetings,
Wim.