Re: Cannot access '/dev/pts/292': Value too large for defined data type

From: simon
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 04:17:31 EST

Ce jour Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Andrew Morton a dit:

> simon@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > whenever i try open a new pseudo-pty, i get a similar message to
> > the one in the subject, and one like "fstat: Value too large for defined data
> > type" if i open an xterm.
>
> It appears that you're using some variant of the 2.6.7 kernel, yes?
>
> That kernel (and many preceding ones) will create large pty indexes and old
> (and/or buggy) userspace fails to handle it correctly.
>
> Post-2.6.7, the allocation of pty indexes was switched to first-fit and
> things should now work OK.
>
> Please test a current kernel and send a report.

ok. well, i'm currently running the 2.6.7-bk10, and it runs really
nicely for one thing, and the other is that the pty behaviour is exactly
like the old one (which i've just been told 'first fit' *is* the old
behaviour).

in a way i like the newer behaviour, but hmm, maybe have both
behaviours? first fit for some old/buggy apps, and the new one for ones
that correctly detect the new capabilities. though IME most of the
applications i've used don't recognise the new one, and having varying
levels of freakiness - from a warning to outright not working as
expected (e.g., my problem with screen, the "Value too large" message).

thanks :)

--
Software Patents are patently wrong:
http://swpat.ffii.org/papiere/eubsa-swpat0202/ustr0309/index.en.html