RE: [patch][rfc] expandable anonymous shared mappings

From: Christoph Rohland
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 09:26:20 EST

Hi Stas,

> But no, my prog won't die without the expandable
> anon shared mapping thing. I can resort to the other
> matters. I can (as I do right now) to just open a
> tmp file in /dev/shm and use the custom allocator.

BTW that's what librt does: look into /dev/shm scheck if it is tmpfs and do
an open...

> Yes, that works, but I wanted to keep it "simple
> and stupid". The anon shared mapping looked like
> the good candidate to try out.

Yes, I understand. For your use case anon shared mem with the small addition
is perfect.

> And then I thought it may be nice if the kernel
> to provide this functionality.

For me the question is: The functionality you propose is very specific for
your problem. The kernel should provide general solutions. So is there a
bigger demand for this?

Greetings
Christoph