Re: Collapse ext2 and 3 please

From: R. J. Wysocki
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 15:46:00 EST

On Friday 25 of June 2004 20:41, Timothy Miller wrote:
> Sean Neakums wrote:
> > Timothy Miller <miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >>
> >>As an option, that might be nice, but if everyone were to start using
> >>ext3 even for their non-journalled file systems, the ext2 code would
> >>be subject to code rot.
> >
> > My paraphrase is at fault here. In the above, "removed" == "removed
> > from the kernel tree".
>
> I understood that.
>
> Let me be more clear. I agree with other people's comments to the
> effect that ext2 and ext3 have different goals and therefore different
> and potentially incompatible optimizations. If ext3 had a mode that
> made it equivalent to ext2, which encouraged people to only compile in
> ext3 even for ext2 partitions (to save on kernel memory), then future
> ext2 code bases would get less use and therefore less testing and
> therefore more code rot.
>
> It is reasonable to allow the redundancy between ext2 and ext3 in order
> to allow them to diverge. This kind of future-proofing mentality
> underlies the reasons why kernel developers don't want to completely
> stablize the module ABI, for example.

Let me add my 2c, please.

I think that the most of users will use ext3 or reiserfs anyway, unless they
actually _prefer_ ext2 for some reasons (let's face it: the most of users
just follow the distribution defaults and the most of distributors set either
ext3 or reiserfs as a default). This, however, confines the use of ext2 to a
(relatively) small group of users having special needs and means that the
future ext2 code will get less testing in any case, just like old device
drivers do (eg. old CD-ROM drivers ;-)).

I'm not for collapsing the ext2 and ext3 code bases, but IMHO your argument
does not apply.

I think that the good reason for keeping both ext* code bases in the kernel
tree is that _there_ _are_ _some_ people who will need ext2 for some
purposes, so why should we pull the carpet from under them?

Yours,
rjw