Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-libc-headers 2.6.7.0

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 09:00:41 EST

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:58:32PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:48:56PM -0400, Chris Friesen wrote:
> >
> > Maybe this should be a topic for the kernel summit or a BOF session at
> > OLS?
>
> I don't see any objections, just no patches have been submitted that do
> this work. Why would a BOF be needed to create a patch? :)

Let me contradict this. Several people, probably independently,
submitted a header setup and a patch that did the required work
for a small handful of header files.

As far as I know Linus has not reacted to such patches.

Since the total amount of work is, like Jeff says, incredibly long and tedious,
it is unreasonable to expect that all be done before anything is put in the
default kernel tree.

At some point in time Linus either has to describe his setup, or
accept a setup someone submits. Maybe a BOF would be useful to
find out precisely what requirements there are, but only if Linus
is present, because we have had enough discussion already.

Andries