RE: Continue: psmouse.c - synaptics touchpad driver sync problem

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 11:03:59 EST

Marc Waeckerlin wrote:

> > If your psmouse module is compiled it then use "psmouse.resetafter=3"
> > as a boot parameter. If psmouse is a module then put
> > "options psmouse resetafer=3" in your /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> I am sorry, both options do not help at all - well, perhaps the jumping of
> the
> cursor when using the touchpad without external keyboard/mouse
> disconnected
> may be slightly better. But as soon as I plug in the external keyboard,
> the
> old problem occurs.

Hmm... OK, I see that you have an active multiplexing controller.
I wonder if it gets reset back to legacy mode when you plug your
external keyboard. (btw, it it just a keyboard or a docking station/
port replicator?). Try passing i8042.nomux to the kernel and try using
your touchpad/keyboard. If nomux does not help you may try to use
psmouse.proto=bare or psmouse.proto=imps to disable Synaptics-specific
extensions.

Also, if you have time, please change #undef DEBUG to #define DEBUG in
drivers/input/serio/i8042.c, reboot, play a bit with touchpad; plug
external keyboard and send me output of "dmesg -s 100000".

> Also I have a problem not yet mentioned, but it happened again this
> morning:
> Sometimes - without external keyboard/mouse, only using touchpad and
> internal
> keyboard -, sometimes the keyboard does not work anymore. If I hit any
> arbitrary key, nothing happens anymore. The mouse still works with the
> touchpad. Since I am often mobile, I can't acces the notebook through LAN
> and
> sice keynoard does not work anymore, I cant hit ctrl-alt-f1 or so to
> switch
> to a terminal or to watch the syslog on ctrl-alt-f10. The only thing I can
> do
> is to reboot using the mouse only.

Ok, we were getting reports about this happening with Toshibas, no
resolution yet...

--
Dmitry