Re: can TSC tick with different speeds on SMP?

From: Pasi Savolainen
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 14:23:43 EST

* Kirill Korotaev <kksx@xxxxxxx>:
> Hello,
>
> I've got some stupid question to SMP gurus and would be very thankful
> for the details. I suddenly faced an SMP system where different P4 cpus
> were installed (with different steppings). This resulted in different
> CPU clock speeds and different speeds of time stamp counters on these
> CPUs. I faced the problem during some timings I measured in the kernel.
>
> So the question is "is such system compliant with SMP specification?".

Well, I can't tell if it's SMP-compliant, but I can tell that it's
certainly not rare to have such a situation.

For example on AMD K7-SMP system when using powersaving mode which
basically 'turns CPU off' for a while, TSC's become desynchronized. At
the moment 2.6 -kernels handle this very well. (I haven't got problems
with it for more than half a year).

Now, I don't know what will happen if the become desynchronized because
of totally different _length_ of single tick. Is this what you
experience?

FWIW, this is what I get for timer in dmesg:
- -
Using pmtmr for high-res timesource
Using local APIC timer interrupts.
calibrating APIC timer ...
..... CPU clock speed is 1545.0689 MHz.
..... host bus clock speed is 268.0815 MHz.
checking TSC synchronization across 2 CPUs: passed.
- -

--
Psi -- <http://www.iki.fi/pasi.savolainen>