Re: SATA 3112 errors on 2.6.7

From: R. J. Wysocki
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 15:02:47 EST

On Saturday 19 of June 2004 01:06, Ricky Beam wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, R. J. Wysocki wrote:
> >Are your drives out of Seagate, maybe? If not, what make are they?
>
> (As I said in a previous email...) 4 x Seagate ST3160023AS's RAID0'd
> together in a BIOS "raid" mode compatable manner.

Sorry, I should have noticed.

Anyway, it looks like a pattern is forming which smells bad to me.

Apparently, we have:
1) A serious error condition that occurs on Seagate SATA drives connected to
Silicon Image controllers.
2) As of today we can say that it only occurs on Seagate drives (Ricky, do I
remember correctly that you see faulty behavior of such drives with a 3ware
RAID?).
3) The error is reported by the kernel like that:

ata1: DMA timeout, stat 0x1
ATA: abnormal status 0x58 on port 0xCF819087
scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 03 ca 47 00 00 00
00
Current sda: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 248391

Afterwards, the drive blocks its SATA bus in a "busy" mode and cannot be
accessed by any means (ie. hardware reset is necessary).
4) The most "reliable" way to trigger this condition is to copy a lot of data
(eg. 2 GB) to the drive in one shot.

Do we agree on that?

rjw