Re: IR Remotes under 2.6

From: Brad Campbell
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 12:54:48 EST

Darren Hart wrote:
I had some thoughts regarding the >=2.6.6 approach to handling remotes
as keyboards (specifically the ir-kbd-i2c driver).

1) First, I believe the kernel can really only recognize the receiver,

Thoughts?

Something completely different.. Perhaps userspace?

I'm using a streamzap USB ir remote with lirc. I have a modified version of Nils Faebers kbdd package that does the translation and injects the packets into /dev/misc/uinput.
Whammo. Userspace IR remote to keyboard translator.

You may want to do it in kernel space however. I'm just throwing it out there.
Modified version here http://www.wasp.net.au/~brad/kbdd-lirc-0.01.tar.gz
Ugly and bad code is most probably mine :p)

If you have a good reason to keep it in kernel space, them my argument is null and void :p)
It's nice being able to specify Remote->Key maps on a per app basis depending on what you are running at the time.

Makes controlling bash scripts using dialog really easy by remote :p)

Regards,
Brad