Re: Stop the Linux kernel madness

From: Jari Ruusu
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 12:03:05 EST

Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven <arjanv@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 02:09, 4Front Technologies wrote:
> > > I am writing this message to bring a huge problem to light. SuSE has been systematically
> > > forking the linux kernel and shipping all kinds of modifications and still call their
> > > kernels 2.6.5 (for example).
> >
> > internal kernel apis change and are fair game. As a RH kernel maintainer
> > I can guarantee you that you will suffer too from internal kernel
> > changes in RH/Fedora kernels. Or from changes within the 2.6.x series.
> > Linux needs such changes to allow faster and cleaner development.
>
> Arjan, I agree with what you're saying, but it looks to me that the 4front
> guy was complaining about the lack of meaningful EXTRAVERSION. Hard to say
> for sure when he's raving though...

Last time I checked, SUSE kernels include " characters in EXTRAVERSION and
KERNELRELEASE Makefile strings. Those " characters need to be filtered out
before EXTRAVERSION and KERNELRELEASE strings can be used.

Just another SUSE sillyness.

--
Jari Ruusu 1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9 DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD