Re: DMA API issues

From: James Bottomley
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 15:53:17 EST

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 15:14, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> I wanted to do just that a while ago, and ended up doing things a bit
> differently, but still, I agree that would help. The thing is, you
> can do that in your platform code. just use the platform data pointer
> in struct device to stuff a ptr to the structure with your "ops"

Yes, we do this on parisc too. We actually have a hidden method pointer
(per platform) and cache the iommu (we have more than one) accessors in
platform_data.

The problem is, though, that I really don't think this interface would
benefit from being made public (or part of the API). There are too many
nasty quirks in the platform for this (at least in our case).

James