Re: DMA API issues

From: Matt Porter
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 14:30:11 EST

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 02:33:18PM -0400, Jamey Hicks wrote:
> Matt Porter wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:59:02PM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> >>1) The DMA API provides no methods to set up a mapping between the host
> >> memory map and the devices view of the space
> >> example:
> >> the OHCI controller above would see its 32K of SRAM as
> >> mapped from 0x10000 - 0x1ffff and not 0xXXX10000 - 0xXXX1ffff
> >> which is the address the CPU sees.
> >>2) The DMA API assumes the device can access SDRAM
> >> example:
> >> the OHCI controller base is mapped at 0x10000000 on my platform.
> >> this is NOT is SDRAM, its in IO space.
> >
> >Can't you just implement an arch-specific allocator for your 32KB
> >SRAM, then implement the DMA API streaming and dma_alloc/free APIs
> >on top of that? Since this architecture is obviously not designed
> >for performance, it doesn't seem to be a big deal to have the streaming
> >APIs copy to/from the kmalloced (or whatever) buffer to/from the SRAM
> >allocated memory and then have those APIs return the proper dma_addr_t
> >for the embedded OHCI's address space view of the SRAM. Same thing
> >goes for implementing dma_alloc/free (used by dma_pool*). I don't
> >have the knowledge of USB subsystem buffer usage to know how quickly
> >that little 32KB of SRAM is going to run out. But at a DMA API level,
> >this seems doable, albeit with the greater possibility of negative
> >retvals from these calls.
> >
> Your analysis of what is needed is correct. However, we would prefer to
> fit this into the DMA API in a generic way, rather than having a
> specialized API that is not acceptable upstream. I'm more concerned
> with finding the best way to address this problem than with whether this
> is a 2.6 or 2.7 issue.
>
> We do need a memory allocator for the pool of SRAM. If we're not going
> to have to build customized versions of the OHCI driver, we need that
> pool hooked into the dma_pool and dma_alloc_coherent interfaces. We
> could do that with a platform specific implementation of
> dma_alloc_coherent, but a pointer to dma_{alloc,free} from struct device
> seems like a cleaner solution. We also will need bounce buffers, as you

Yes, it can be cleaner, but it's not something I would say is
completely broken with the DMA API. It does provide a way to
make your device specific implementation, regardless of whether
it's managed ideally via a struct device pointer. Migrating to
dev->dma* sounds suspiciously like a 2.7ism.

> described, but there is already a good start towards that support in
> 2.6. The other thing that might be needed is passing device to

Where's that code?

> page_to_dma so that device specific dma addresses can be constructed.

A struct device argument to page_to_dma seems like a no brainer to be
included.

> Deepak Saxena wrote a pretty good summary as part if the discussion
> about this issue on the linux-arm-kernel mailing list:
>
> http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2004-June/022796.html

Ahh, ok. Deepak and I have discussed this idea F2F on a several
occassions, I recall he needed it for the small floating PCI window
he has to manage on the IXP* ports. It may help in some embedded
PPC areas as well.

> I think I'm looking for something like the PARISC hppa_dma_ops but more
> generic:
>
> http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2004-June/022813.html

I see that's somewhat like what David Brownell suggested before...a single
pointer to a set of dma ops from struct device. hppa_dma_ops translated
into a generic dma_ops entity with fields corresponding to existing
DMA API calls would be a good starting point. We can get rid of some
address translation hacks in a lot of custom embedded PPC drivers
with something like this.

-Matt