Re: Stop the Linux kernel madness

From: Martin Schlemmer
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 12:35:35 EST

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 17:48, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

Hi,

> This means that a single /lib/modules/$(uname
> -r)/build symlink is not sufficient anymore. Therefore we have the build
> symlink pointing to the output files, and a new source symlink pointing
> to the real source tree. This change hasn't found its way into mainline
> yet, which is unfortunate. For the discussion, see
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108628265102121&w=2 and
> follow-ups. I keep pinging Sam Ravnborg (the kbuild maintainer), but
> apparently he is busy with other projects at the moment.

Once again, please do not do this. As some others already have pointed
out already, many (of not most) projects out there that builds against
the running kernel use '/lib/modules/$(uname-r)/build' to locate the
SOURCE, and will be broken. Rather use an 'output' or some such symlink
to store the object files, but keep the meaning of 'build' intact.

If, then please treat it like any other stable interface, and depreciate
it in 2.7, and change (but better, remove it, so that there will be no
misunderstanding) in 2.8.

Thanks,

--
Martin Schlemmer