Re: [BUG] 2.6.x ALSA sound is pretty broken

From: Lenar Lõhmus
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 09:25:21 EST

Hello,

Do you have DMA enabled for your hard disk? hdparm -d /dev/hdx
will tel you ...

Lenar

Hetfield wrote:

i've got hard problems with sound in all 2.6.x, even 2.6.7 kernels.

with 2.4.2x or windows i've got no problems, so i'm sure it's kernel and
not hardware related.

the problem is that sound jumps, flickers and isn't good when harddisk
reads lots of data (i mean not 1-2mb but 60-100mb and more)

i checked irq and there is not conflict, i setted a higher and lower
value of latency and nothing changed.

i've the same problems since 2.6.0 kernels. Vanilla and Gentoo too.
I've tried lots of solutions, like disabling preemptile kernel, adding
alsa and oss, only oss, only alsa, as module or built-in.
nothing changes.

my audio card is a Creative SB PCI128, found by linux as

0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1370 [AudioPCI] (rev
01)
Subsystem: Unknown device 4942:4c4c
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
I/O ports at b000

while on Windows i use es1371/3 drivers.
however with 2.4.x i always used es1370 alsa module without problems.
When harddisk is sleeping sound is normally good.

Thanks for support