Re: Stop the Linux kernel madness

From: viro
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 19:46:11 EST

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:09:17PM -0700, 4Front Technologies wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am writing this message to bring a huge problem to light. SuSE has been
> systematically
> forking the linux kernel and shipping all kinds of modifications and still
> call their
> kernels 2.6.5 (for example).
>
> Either they ship the stock Linux kernel sources or they stop calling their
> distributions
> as Linux-2.6.x based.
>
> Kernel headers are being changed willy-nilly and SuSE are completely
> running rough-shod
> over the linux kernel with the result ONLY software from SuSE works.

"Software" == "3rd-party kernel modules" in this case, right?

Remember what had been told to you about in-kernel interfaces? That's
right, that they can be changed at zero notice. Now, if SuSE told you
otherwise, you might have a cause to complain. Had they?

If they'd promised in-kernel interface stability and lied - sure, go ahead
and nail them to the wall. If not - STFU and eat what you are bloody given.

Al, not particulary fond of SuSE, but even less so - of misdirecting wankers
like that...