Re: mode data=journal in ext3. Is it safe to use?

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 12:21:26 EST

Timothy Miller wrote:

Doesn't Reiser4 do wear-leveling for flash?

No, we don't. We do have wandering logs, so it would be feasible to code, but bitmap blocks and super blocks get written to the same locations repeatedly.

Actually, most compact flash devices DO do wear leveling, from what I have heard.

Ken Ryan wrote:

> [...]

We are using ext3 on a compact flash disk in an embedded device. So we
are not using RAID systems.

[I'm not subscribed, hopefully this threads]

Um, is this a new application or have you done this before?

It's my understanding that very few (or no) CF devices do wear-levelling internally.
Using a journal, especially a true data journal, seems like *the* way to wear out your
flash as quickly as possible.

If you've had success using ext2 in read/write mode on flash/CF in a shipping product,
I for one would like to know more details!

ken