Re: [ANNOUNCE] Generic SCSI Target Middle Level for Linux (SCST) with target drivers

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 07:23:21 EST

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 08:31:22PM +0400, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
> In the current version 0.9.1 SCST looks to be quite stable (for beta)
> and useful. The same is for Qlogic 2200/2300 target driver. Only 2.4
> kernels currently supported, but update for 2.6 is coming soon. No
> kernel patches are necessary. Tested on i386 only, but should work on
> any other supported by Linux platform.
>
> More information, including the source code and detail documentation,
> could be found on http://scst.sf.net.
>
> Any comments would be appreciated.

The code looks pretty neat to me, there's a few issues I'd like to see
addresses but that doesn't make sense before the 2.4 support is dropped
and there's an actual LLDD for 2.6. But I think for most interesting
scenarios in the storage virtualization world your driver is pretty much
useless because it wants to dispatch directly to a scsi device and doesn't
go through the block layer. So no fancy volume managers/etc there to make
interesting storage virtualization boxes.