Re: AT Keyboard (was: Helge Hafting vs. make menuconfig help)

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 17:29:39 EST

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 07:59:03PM +0000, Karel Kulhavý wrote:
> > 4. From there, the key is propagated through tty and
> > console and ends up in your application. This application
> > might be X, which passes the key onto some program using X.
>
> I am insterested in the 4. itself.
>
> What's the console?
The console is the text interface you see when not running
X (the graphical user interface).

> I get a feeling that it's where kernel writes it's debug
> messages but sometimes
Yes, the console is also used for this.

> else I get a feeling it's the text output of the
> machine at all.

You can also have text output in an xterm, thats not the console.
Or even on real terminals connected to serial ports.

> And what are the ttys? And does the key go first into console and then tty,
> or the other way?

TTY = TeleTYpe interface. The machine may have quite a few different
text interfaces, one of them is special and is the console.

Helge Hafting