Re: IDE Auto-Geometry Resizing support missing in 2.6.7?

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 16:16:53 EST

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 09:20:23PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> You need to boot with hdX=stroke now. I had a patch first that allowed both
> run- an compiletime selection but Bart wanted the option to be removed.

Bart is right. Compilation options should select inclusion of subsystems,
modules, drivers, but not twiddle behaviour.

I wondered whether the opposite default would have been better, but
probably the current version is best.

On the other hand, there are too many gratuitous changes in a stable series.
We should soon open 2.7, so that user-visible minor improvements have a place to go.