Re: PATCH: 2.6.7-rc3 drivers/video/fbmem.c: user/kernel pointer bugs

From: viro
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 20:28:56 EST

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 03:46:39PM -0700, Robert T. Johnson wrote:
> Since sprite is a user pointer, reading sprite->mask or sprite->image.data
> requires unsafe dereferences. Let me know if you have any questions or if
> I've made a mistake.

Nice catch. IMO drivers/video/* is too damn scary to get in there and look
for now - as long as there are less nasty areas to deal with ;-)

BTW, had con_font_op() shown up in your checks? It _does_ avoid dereferencing
userland pointers in a very similar scenario, but proving that is not something
I'd wish on any code. Short version of the story:
* console_font_op ->data can be a userland pointer. It is obtained
from ioctls on many paths; all end up passing the (kernel) pointer to
structure to con_font_op().
* a lot of code in drivers uses struct console_font_op. And
dereferences ->data.
* con_font_op() checks op->op and if it is KD_FONT_OP_[SG]ET, op->data
gets moved to kernel. In any case, op is passed to the same method -
->con_font_op(). In some cases - with kernel pointer in ->data, in some -
with userland one.
* ->con_font_op() in drivers does not dereference op->data unless
op->op is one of those two.

Oh, and to make life even funnier, struct console_font_op is also misused to
store current font.

I wonder what did cqual say about that one - it sure as hell should raise a lot
of red flags and the last item (none of the drivers dereference ->data unless
->op is one of KD_FONT_OP_{S,G}ET) is going to be hell on anything short of
full AI. sparse does *not* figure out that it's safe and raises hell over
->data not being declared as userland pointer while getting copy_..._user()
on it.

FWIW, I think we should reduxe mixing of ioctl and kernel structures.
console_font_op is a particulary obnoxious example, but lots of the stuff
in drivers/video is not much better.