Re: [STACK] >3k call path in reiserfs

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 13:37:29 EST

On Wed, 9 June 2004 11:09:55 -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Jörn Engel wrote:
> >
> >...but note that my signature ai has proven it's merits once again...
> >
> what is your signature ai?

fortune. It is clearly artificial and it's results prove high
intelligence sometimes. ;)

> Unless it is really necessary, or a small code change, I would prefer to
> spend our cycles worrying about this in reiser4, because code changes in
> V3 are to be avoided if possible.

Fair enough.

> I am open to arguments that it is really necessary.

The main argument is that you are already "this close" to the limit
and future code changes (in reiserfs or in unrelated functions called
before or after reiserfs) will blow said limit.

Since reiser3 won't get many changes anymore and other code should
generally get enhanced, rather than degraded, you should be pretty
safe.

Is there a simple way to tell reiser3 functions from reiser4, btw?
Something similar to ext2/ext3 would be nice.

Jörn

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, but
not tried it.