Increasing number of inodes after format?

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 16:13:36 EST

I was involved in a discussion a while back where it was explained that ext2/3 allocate a certain maximum number of inodes at format time, and you cannot increase that number later.

It was also mentioned that one or more of the journaling file systems (XFS, JFS, Reiser, etc.) either dynamically allocated inodes or could increase the maximum later if the pre-allocated set got used up.

Could someone please repeat for me which filesystems have dynamic maximum inode counts?

Thanks.