Re: Re: new icc kernel patch available (with kernel PGO)

From: ingo
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 10:58:10 EST

Hi,

I published some preliminary results in the German Linux Magazine, which
are copyrighted now. Sorry.
Some hints: maximum performance gain approx. 40%, avg. perf. gain:
approx. 8%; computed by LMBench+OProfile (accurate CPU cycle
measurement, 10us timer resolution).
These results were taken from a "general kernel", i.e. widespread kernel
load (foreground and background activities, networking, filesystems,
drivers, etc.) during kernel PGO instrumentalization.
The big advantage of kernel PGO: you can create your own specialized
kernels for dedicated tasks (3 phase compilation scheme: primary
compilation, kernel profiling (PGO), feedback compilation).