Re: BUG in ht-aware scheduler/nice in 2.6.7-rc2 on dual xeon

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 04:17:26 EST

bert hubert wrote:

Fails sometimes, with all processes getting 50%. The above 'screenshot' is
from the working and expected situation, which happens most of the time.

When it goes wrong, top shows me that Cpu0 and Cpu1 are 100% user, while
Cpu2 and Cpu3 are both 100% nice. The niced processes show up in top as
PRiority 39, the unniced ones (NI = 0) as PR 25.

I've also seen it that Cpu2 and Cpu3 are 100% busy, and 0 and 1 are 100%
nice.

Ahh, that is because we don't do nice-aware SMP balancing. It
is orthogonal to the HT-nice work.

Fixing it properly requires someone to sit down and do some careful
design of nice-aware balancing that should be general enough to handle
the HT problems as a matter of course.