Re: linux crashing on amd athlons?

From: Kenneth Aafløy
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 20:18:46 EST

On Monday 07 June 2004 01:57, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004, Ameer Armaly wrote:
> > While installing linux on an amd athlon, the kernel is oopsing and
> > shuting down the computer at random places within the install. This is
> > a custom built kernel off of kernel.org I built, which I optimized for
> > athlon then i386 afterwards, but with no luck.
>
> I have several Athlons (from the venerable 500 to the new XP 2600+) in
> use at various sites, no problems. Among them an XP 1700+ in server use
> with vanilla 2.4.26, rock solid.
>
> Check you've used a supported compiler and binutils, then check the
> hardware. Cooling (heat sink), RAM (try memtest86), power supply, proper
> clock speed and core voltage, proper RAM timing -- these are all
> contributing factors to instability if not carefully chosen and
> installed.

I have a dual Athlon MP2400+ running very stable on Linux Kernel (.org)
2.6.7-rc1, only the last week I have had random segfaults while compiling
kernels and the like. So I popped open the case and vacuumed it, every thing,
with special care on fans and ribbons. After this it's been running
flawlessly again :)

My point beeing, better know your hardware before checking for flaws in Linux!

Kenneth