wireless-2.6 queue opened

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 22:47:13 EST

It's high time that Linux get a serious effort going on a generic 802.11 stack, as it seems we are in danger of having every new wireless driver invent one if we do not.

Given that there are at least 3 complete wireless stacks (or thereabouts) floating about for Linux, I picked one that I felt had the best chance of being _evolved_ into a nice, clean, generic wireless stack: HostAP.

My general hope (plan?) is that generic wireless code can be arrived at without horribly intrusive changes that require a 2.7 kernel. wireless-2.6 is targetted for eventual merging, but it won't be submitted anytime soon.

Now it's time for open source to kick into action :) wireless-2.6 queue is available in patch form or BitKeeper for review. Or, if you object to my selection of wireless code, now's the time to speak up.

BTW to Intel Centrino folks -- I would like to merge the current (open source) Centrino driver into wireless-2.6 as well, to get it more exposure, and also to ensure that it uses whatever generic 802.11 code happens to appear...

Oh, and please speak up on netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, or at least CC there.

Patch:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/patchkits/2.6/2.6.7-rc2-bk3-wireless1.patch.bz2

BitKeeper (all of these are equivalent):
bk://kernel.bkbits.net/jgarzik/wireless-2.6
bk://gkernel.bkbits.net/wireless-2.6
http://gkernel.bkbits.net/wireless-2.6 (note: _not_ a Web URL)

Finally, here is Jouni's patch submission message, elaborating on the driver-specific details:
Finally, here's the first attempt at submitting Host AP code for
wireless-2.6 tree. In addition, this could be considered for merging
into linus-2.5 tree, so review and comments are very much welcome. Host
AP code has lived in an external CVS repository for three years and is
widely used.

The included patch has minimal changes to the current tree (against
2.6.6, but should apply to different versions with some differences in
line numbers) for including a new directory drivers/net/wireless/hostap.
The contents of that new directory is a bit large for a patch file and
since all the files are new, I made it available as a compressed tarball
at http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostap-linux.tgz. This should be untarred in
the root of the kernel tree (i.e., the file paths in the tarball start
with drivers/net/wirelss/hostap/...).

I removed most of the backwards (for Linux 2.4, pcmcia-cs modules,
different wireless extensions versions) compatibility code. In addition,
I replaced integrated implementations of ARC4, Michael MIC, and AES with
crypto API. AES-CCM mode is still implemented in hostap_crypt_ccmp.c,
but it could be moved at some point to crypto API as a new encryption
mode.