Re: How come dd if=/dev/zero of=/nfs/dev/null does not send packetsover the network?

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 07:24:04 EST

Hi,

As far as I understand devices in Linux, device file is only some kind of
note to the *local* kernel that operations on that file is to be
redirected to the device. It is always resolved by the local kernel and
redirected to the local device (if tere is driver that claims this
major/minor number). Life would be to simple...

Grzegorz Kulewski