Re: why swap at all?

From: Michael Brennan
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 15:06:37 EST

Hi!
I've recently started to follow this list.
I read the swap discussion here, and I was wondering about what Nick Pigging said about grepping the kernel tree.

Nick Piggin wrote:
> For example, I have 57MB swapped right now. It allows me to instantly
> grep the kernel tree. If I turned swap off, each grep would probably
> take 30 seconds.

Are the pages swapped to disk as a result of the grep run?
Im still running 2.4.25. And when I do a grep on the linux kernel tree, it always takes at least 2 minutes at every run. Almost all physical ram, and 21MB of swap is used. Should the files read by grep be cached in memory/swap?

Michael Brennan