Re: crashes in prune_icache() in 2.4.26

From: Chris Caputo
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 02:01:49 EST

[CC'ed lkml in case anyone else wants to take a shot.]

A little more info... I added some printk's to the function to highlight
the input value of parameter 'goal' and also to show where the function
was returning.

My understanding is these printk's all happened in rapid succession:

entry > prune_icache(goal = 92370)
exit < prune_icache() at if (goal <= 0)

Above the function completed without entering the CONFIG_HIGHMEM while
loop.

entry > prune_icache(goal = 94037)
exit < prune_icache() - end of function

Above the function went through the CONFIG_HIGHMEM while loop. This was
the first time this happened since boot, after a number of
prune_icache() calls that had returned prior to the CONFIG_HIGHMEM while
loop.

entry > prune_icache(goal = 98609)
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000004

The final printk above shows the function being entered and then hitting
the NULL dereference.

Chris