Re: oops, 2.4.26 and jfs

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 12:40:32 EST

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 06:16:22PM -0700, Chris Stromsoe wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2004, Dave Kleikamp wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 15:15, Chris Stromsoe wrote:
> > > This morning during a cron run while doing a find across /, I got the
> > > following oops.
> >
> > The oops is fixed in 2.4.27-pre3 with the patch:
> > http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.4/cset@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > jfs still may give you problems if 0-order allocations are failing, but
> > it's not supposed to trap.
>
> Thanks, patch applied.
>

> Aside from that:
>
> > May 26 06:28:10 begonia kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed
> > (gfp=0x1f0/0)
>
> I'm curious about why 0-order allocations would fail. From everything
> I've read (google searching for the error message), that indicates an out
> of memory condition, which shouldn't be the case.
>
> The box in question has 4Gb of physical ram (512Mb is used as tmpfs) and
> 9Gb of swap. When the oops happened, no swap was in use. Physical ram
> was pretty much filled, but no swap at all. OOM_KILLER is not enabled.

Hi Chris,

This seems to be a normal allocation (which can wait), it really
looks the system was out of memory.

Can you stick a call to show_free_areas() in mm/page_alloc.c after

printk(KERN_NOTICE "__alloc_pages: %u-order allocation failed (gfp=0x%x/%i)\n",
order, gfp_mask, !!(current->flags & PF_MEMALLOC));

so we know the state of the memory areas when it happens again.

Also turn on /proc/sys/vm/vm_gfp_debug.