Re: Fw: Re: keyboard problem with 2.6.6

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 07:59:54 EST

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 02:38:08PM +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> > The kernel input layer doesn't treat modifiers as special keys, and
> > currently (include/linux/input.h) has shift, alt, ctrl and meta keys.
> > Both left and right. This covers all keyboards I've seen so far,
> > including SGI, Sun, Mac, and other keyboards.
> >
> > This is different from the X keysym modifiers, because the super and
> > hyper modifiers usually don't correspond to real physical keys on the
> > keyboard.
>
> Sorry but this is untrue. My Win keys are configured as super,
> for example.

The Linux kernel reports them as KEY_LEFTMETA, KEY_RIGHTMETA and
KEY_COMPOSE.

> > > * No (documented) set of keycodes to assign to get mapped to
> > > multimedia/internet keys (volume up/down, play, stop, next,
> > > prev, email, internet, blah blah blah)
> >
> > include/linux/input.h has the documented set of keycodes. It's largely
> > based on what 2.4 uses for keycodes - sanitized PS/2 codes.
>
> Ah good. I was looking at the wrong headers :)

> > It was written for 2.4 unfortunately, and 2.6's emulated rawmode
> > confuses it no end.
>
> It could be updated though.

It can be updated, yes.

> > The X step could be avoided if we had a definition file for xkb for the
> > kernel emulated keyboard.
>
> That's exactly what I'm saying. But there isn't. Which is what
> pisses off most users.

I'm not very familiar with xkb configuration. Perhaps you'd be willing
to write that definition file? I'll certainly help you from the kernel
side - I can even generate a list of keycode - scancode - meaning
relations for you.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR