Re: keyboard problem with 2.6.6

From: Sau Dan Lee
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 05:58:17 EST

>>>>> "Giuseppe" == Giuseppe Bilotta <bilotta78@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Giuseppe> So, while we wait for complete support, at the kernel
Giuseppe> level, for all the multimedia keyboards supported by X,
Giuseppe> we *need* proper raw mode.

My question is: why do everything inside the kernel?

Even 'khttpd' has been removed from the kernel, because the same
efficiency has been achieved in the *userland* apache module. Why is
the input layer moving _backwards_?

I don't think converting between keyboard/mouse protocols and the
input system's "struct input_event" has a tighter real-time
requirement than a heavily loaded web server. How many keys per
second can you type at? (Even if you type extremely fast and the
hardware constraints (velocity, etc.) are not reached yet, there is
still a limit that the keyboard controller, e.g. i8042, cannot
exceed.) How many mouse movements are you making per second? Is a
userland driver unable to handle that data rate? (I don't think so.
I believe enve a 386-DX 33MHz can handle it with ease.) If not, then
please do it in userland, so as not to waste kernel memory (which is
*NON-swappable*).

--
Sau Dan LEE ???(Big5) ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx