Re: ftp.kernel.org

From: Andrew Walrond
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 05:40:06 EST

On Sunday 30 May 2004 01:29, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Because doing it with BitTorrent is a nightmare. I posted a long list
> of the problems with BT for doing this to the BT mailing list and
> pretty much got told that there is no way to do what I'd want to do
> within BT.
>
> Some of the people from the BT list have approached me about creating
> a new protocol - working name "Software Distribution Protocol"
> (SDP)... but it's a big job.

I might have done it already (depending on your requirements).

http://www.white-water.rubyx.org/

I recently launched Rubyx, a source based linux distro and almost bankrupted
myself with bandwidth bills in the first two days after mentioning it on
Slashdot. So, I investigated BitTorrent as a possible solution. I found it
lacking in many respects, so I wrote White-Water, which I was actually going
to anounce this weekend, but in the light of this thread, some useful
comments or suggestions might be forthcoming from you and others who have
already considered the problem space in detail.

I'd be happy to implement any useful features I might have overlooked.

Andrew Walrond