Re: seperate environments for different kernels

From: Rob
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 00:12:07 EST

On Saturday 29 May 2004 09:13 pm, Younggyun Koh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to run linux 2.6.6 kernel, which needs upgrade of some system tools
> such as module-init-tools and nfs-utils. but other guys using the same
> machine with 2.4 kernel don't want me to upgrade them.

sorry, typo bug: that statement is actually
[ `uname -r` == "2.x.x-this-script's-desired-version" ] || exit

and since mod-init-tools are in /, you may need to actually replace them all
with wrapper scripts which call up the right one, passing all command-line
arguments to the real one... you install the 2.4 utils, move them all (i.e.,
to *-2.4) then the same for 2.6, and make a script with the original name
that calls the 2.6 binary when uname -r returns a 2.6 kernel, likewise with
2.4, etc.

even easier: you may be able to get away with this hack:

mount --bind /some-dir/2.6-bin /bin
mount --bind /some-dir/2.6-lib /lib
mount --bind /some-dir/2.6-sbin /sbin
mount --bind /some-dir/2.6-etc /etc
and so on.

do this in a script that starts with that statement above, so that only when
*your* kernel runs, it maps over the 2.4 kit without touching it.

--
Rob Couto [rpc@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
computer safety tip: use only a non-conducting, static-free hammer.