Re: Recommended compiler version

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 19:33:57 EST

Karim Yaghmour wrote:
kernels as well, to see if they too would work. I noticed that
some that actually failed as above (causing a fault very early
at boot time), now didn't fail with 3.3.2, but printed nothing
to the terminal and the system would eventually reboot -- as if
console=ttyS0,9600 had no effect and the kernel panicked as
expected because of the missing rootfs.

This just above is actually due pilot error. I had been trying so
many different kernels that I had forgotten to check whether
console on serial was enabled ... No wonder nothing was displayed.

To recap, I've also got the 2.4.25-ben1 and 2.6.6 working with
gcc 3.3.2. 2.4.25-ben1 still has the same problem as described
earlier with gcc 3.4.0, but 2.6.6 works fine with gcc 3.4.0.

I'm probably going to stick to 3.3.2, though, as I have no
intention of chasing gcc 3.4.0's breaking of some user-space
stuff.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits