Re: Recommended compiler version

From: Dan Kegel
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 10:48:04 EST

John B. wrote:
Quote from Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx>:
Whether support for gcc 2.95 should be dropped is a discussion for 2.7.

Is there any single 3.x.x version of GCC that's actively in use by a large
number of core developers? How do we make a sensible recommendation if not?

As an aside, it seems like gcc-3.3.3 is pretty good.
There are some known problems with it, but the number is small.
I haven't tried gcc-3.4.0 much yet, but I have seen a few kernel patches
to fix issues 3.4.0 found in the kernel source.

I agree 2.6 should continue to support and compile correctly under gcc-2.95.3,
even if that means working around compiler bugs. By the time linux-2.7
rolls around, I suspect nobody will mind if we drop 2.95.3 in favor
of 3.4.x. It'll be interesting to see if newer gccs optimize the kernel better...
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com