Re: keyboard problem with 2.6.6

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 08:26:13 EST

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:46:20PM +0200, Chris Osicki wrote:

>>> I tried to solve my problem using setkeycodes and tried:
>>>
>>> setkeycodes 71 101
>>>
>>> getkeycodes reported after that:
>>>
>>> # getkeycodes | grep 0x70
>>> 0x70: 93 101 0 89 0 0 85 91

Yes, fine.

>>> But showkeys -s shows 0x5b when the key in question is pressed
>>> (and no release event!!??)

0x5b is 91 which is x86_keycodes[101].

Yes, so all is clear:
The 2.6 kernel no longer has a raw mode - it has a simulated raw mode
that is not very raw. When you updated the table used for the
scancode->keycode translation, the table used to reconstruct what
might have been the original scancode was not changed accordingly.
Thus, showkeys -s gave a garbage answer.

Thanks for the report. It shows that resurrecting raw mode is even
more desirable than I thought at first.

Andries