Re: bk-3.2.0 released

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 08:22:33 EST

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 06:04:36AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 11:54:20AM +0200, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> > On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 04:32:38PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > > BitKeeper Users,
> > >
> > > BK/Pro 3.2.0 has been released and is in the BK download area,
> > >
> > > http://bitmover.com/download
> >
> > Any chance of a native x86-64 version?
>
> We don't have any x86-64 machines but we could get one. I asked about this
> a while back and people told me that there was no point, the x86 one worked
> perfectly. Can you tell me what having a native one would gain? If there
> is any gain we'll do it.

Well, yes, of course, the x86 version works just fine, because x86-64 is
backward compatible.

The benefits won't be huge:

a marginal speed increase due to more registers
no need for 32-bit libs on the system and in memory
enough address space for bk, should it ever need more
a general feeling of doing things right ;)

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR