Re: ftp.kernel.org

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 10:04:13 EST

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 02:21:41AM -0400, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> > Agreed - fmirror is so much more reliable than rsync (imho) that it makes
> > rsync into a worst-case option for retrieving files.
>
> bug reports to rsync@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx are appreciated...

The main problem with rsync that I can see is that it is fairly heavy
weight on the server, so many servers (including mirrors.kernel.org)
have a maximum number of connections set to something pathetically
small, like say 5 connections.

I remember Tridge trying to get someone to implement checksum caching
for rsync servers some 4+ years ago, which would surely help. Did
that ever get done? If so, convincing the server admins that it's OK
to up the maximum number of rsync connections would be the next step.

- Ted