Re: ftp.kernel.org

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 03:56:57 EST

On Fri, 2004-05-28 09:41:38 +0100, Mark Watts <m.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <200405280941.38784.m.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Thu, 27 May 2004, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> > That would explain it. The default is to turn it off.
> > >Why would you mirror via ftp, instead of rsync anyway?
> > I have more control with mirror. And I've been using mirror for
> > *ahem* a decade. I've been using rsync for mirroring debian, but
> > it's slow and often fails to complete. Mirror has never let me
> > down ('tho it has deleted entire archives before *grin*)
> Agreed - fmirror is so much more reliable than rsync (imho) that it makes
> rsync into a worst-case option for retrieving files.

Disagree! Mirroring with ftp is possibly quite a waste of bandwidth (at
least in case partial file transfers etc.), and IIRC you can't reliably
mirror symlinks (IIRC the "ls"/"dir" output is only ment to be
human-readable), hardlinks and the like.

If you see aborts, properly set the timeout parameter...

MfG, JBG (a happy rsync user)

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg