Re: why swap at all?

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 00:39:51 EST

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:19:40PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

OK, this is obviously bad. Do you get this behaviour with 2.6.5
or 2.6.6? If so, can you strace the program while it is writing
an ISO? (just send 20 lines or so). Or tell me what program you
use to create them and how to create one?

program: mkisofs
kernel: 2.4.4-2.4.25, 2.6.4-2.6.6
(To say it in other words, i never (seen/felt) a difference in 3 years.
So if there is a difference i just didn't realized there is one)
The current kernel is 2.6.5 as 2.6.6 sometimes just "hangs"

Just throw together some lage files (My files are all >= 350MB, the
"typical" case is about 4-5files with 800-1000MB each) and then
mkisofs -J -r -o <image> <source-dir>
I store the image files on another HDD to get best possibel throughput.
My HDDs (these are "normal" IDE-HDDs) are capable of delivering about
35-40MB/s, the last time i measured i got about 70MB/s aggregated
throughput while creating an image-file.

Thanks. I'll see if I can reproduce.