Re: why swap at all?

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 15:04:04 EST

> > Come on, that is quite an exaggeration. It can happen in a span of
> > minutes -- after rsyncing a dir to a backup dir, for example, which
> > fills ram rather quickly with cache I'll never use again. Or after
> > configuring and compiling a package, which does the same thing.
> >

> rsync is something known to break the VM's use-once heuristics.
> I'm looking at that.

I have a question about that. I keep a debian mirror on one of my machines.
there is over 70000 files. If I run find on that tree while it's
downloading the file list, it doesn't take as long. I thought it would be
nice if there was some way I could keep that in memory. The box has 256mb
ram no swap. It is configured as diskless.