nforce2 keeps crashing with 2.4.27pre3

From: Jens Kübler
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 10:57:49 EST

Hi

I have grabbed the latest pre of the kernel and compiled everything. At bootup
the nforce2 fixup message appears but as soon as I cause heavy network
traffic the system still locks up.
I'm using a rtl8169 1Gbit network card which reads data from a 1Gbit connected
raid10 so transfer rates can get pretty high (some tests gave me about 70MB/s
reading)

The system runs fine with the apic tack patch that i use since december
(kernel 2.4.23) except for my new gigabit network card.
I'm importing different network shares via nfs and the gigabit seems to have
problems with this patch. When traffic rises the kernel considers that the
nfs server is not responding and waits for it to come back. It does after
some time and then this cycle starts again and again. Transfer rates drop due
to this to less than 1Mb/s.

When I installed 2.4.27pre3 i had none of these nfs timeouts but the system
halt. The whole home directory is imported via nfs and it seemed for me much
more responsive than with the apic tack patched kernel.

I will be greatful for any suggestions.

Btw: I'm not subscribed so please send cc to me ;-)

Jens