[ANNOUNCE] DKMS now with architecture awareness

From: Gary_Lerhaupt
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 10:02:22 EST

DKMS is a project Dell is maintaining to solve the necessity for a kernel
module update model. You can read more about why this is needed and a good
thing here: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/1q04-ler.pdf or
here: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6896 (somewhat out of date).

In any case, previously DKMS was unable to handle the management of kernel
modules across architectures. Meaning, it was unable to handle built kernel
modules for the same kernel name but different architecture (note that the
current /lib/modules naming paradigm still cannot handle this either). To
resolve this, I have introduced a testing version of DKMS which adds
multi-arch support. Rather than storing your built modules in
/var/dkms/$module/$modulever/$kernel/, it now stores it in
/var/dkms/$module/$modulever/$kernel/$arch/. The testing versions will be
1.9x as we flesh out this addition. Once ready, we'll move DKMS to 2.0.
1.9x should automatically update your old DKMS tree to the new format
assuming that your built modules are for arch `uname -m`. The latest stable
version of DKMS is 1.10.

Latest: http://linux.dell.com/dkms/testing/permalink/dkms-1.90.46.tar.gz
Changeblog: http://linux.dell.com/blog/2004/05/26/#0916
Project: http://linux.dell.com/dkms/dkms.html