Re: why swap at all?

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 07:19:19 EST

Buddy Lumpkin wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: William Lee Irwin III [mailto:wli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 2:09 AM
To: Buddy Lumpkin
Cc: orders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: why swap at all?

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 01:30:09AM -0700, Buddy Lumpkin wrote:

As for your short, two sentence comment below, let me save you the energy

of

insinuations and translate your message the way I read it: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't recognize your name, therefore you can't possibly have a valuable
opinion on the direction VM system development should go. I doubt you have
an actual performance problem to share, but if you do, please share it and
go away so that we can work on solving the problem.
My response:
Get over yourself.

What the Hell? I have enough bugs I'm paid to fix that I'm not going to
tolerate harassment for requesting that claims that the kernel behaves
pathologically in some scenario be cast as comprehensible bugreports.
It's also worth noting that paying customers don't respond so uncouthly.

-- wli

If you follow the thread, you will see no claim from me that there is
anything wrong with the kernel. I simply stated that the priority of VM
system development should focus on physical memory, and that physical memory
access should not suffer as a result of some tradeoff that improves the
performance of the VM system when free physical memory is low and there is
heavy use of the swap device.

You also went on to say:
> This of course doesn't address the VM paging storms that happen due to large
> amounts of file system writes. Once the pagecache fills up, dirty pages must
> be evicted from the pagecache so that new pages can be added to the
> pagecache.

By and large, Linux doesn't reclaim dirty pages from the pagecache,
and it should not have paging storms due to large amounts of file
system writes.

If you had a workload where it does, we would be interested to see
it. I pointed out to you that this is what Bill was asking you to
file a detailed report about.

I can't speak whether or not a case like this currently exists, but I know
optimizing swap performance is a very complicated yet captivating subject
that has consumed many a posts on this list. People have tried to optimize
every part of the VM before, so I was just calling out what I believe to be
a very reasonable and practical goal and put a little bit of substance
around why I think it's practical.

Actually, during the 2.5 development cycle, swapping performance
got fairly neglected to the point where we were performing twice
as bad as 2.4 for most things. I (and others) recently improved
this because real people doing real things were complaining.

[snip rant]

I can picture where this is going. Here is an interview between you and a
popular Linux magazine in two years:

Linux Magazine: You have contributed to linux for quite some time, correct?

William: Oh yes, it is my hobby and occupation. I love my work.

Linux Magazine: You have done all these wonderful things!

William: Thanks, I am very proud of that

Linux Magazine: Why did you make such and such decision that backfired?

William: I don't have to answer that, I don't owe you anything and your not
a paying customer.

Give me a break.

What?? Give *you* a break? From a fictional interview you concocted?

Give me a break.