Re: 2.6.7-rc1-bk: SMT scheduler bug / crashes on kernel boot

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 06:15:24 EST

Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
Hi,

Kernel 2.6.7-rc1-bk crashes on boot with a NULL pointer dereference. The kernel is running under VMware if that matters but I don't think it
should. It was working fine with 2.6.6-rc3-bk kernels.

I am afraid the only way I could capture the crash was to capture the
vmware screen into a PNG image which is attached. Maybe I need to setup
some OCR software for in the future... (-;

The system running VMware is a P4 2.6Hz with Hyper threading enabled and
/proc/cpuinfo shows two cpus:

OK, thanks for that. It would be quite helpful if you edit
kernel/sched.c and turn the line #undef SCHED_DOMAIN_DEBUG into
#define SCHED_DOMAIN_DEBUG, then compile a kernel with debugging
info enabled.

Boot again, and capture another screenshot of the oops. This will
hopefully include the SCHED_DOMAIN_DEBUG output.

Also run

addr2line -e /path/to/vmlinux EIP

vmlinux is the file generated in the root directory of the source
tree after compilation. EIP is the EIP value printed by the Oops.

Thanks.