Dell GX1 500 MHZ locked up with Kernel 2.4.26 due to ACPI -- Also:IPTables question.

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 05:58:40 EST

Only thing changed was from 2.4.16 build 13 -> build 14 was that I enabled ACPI, had APM & ACPI both compiled into the kernel, I just wanted to try out ACPI to see if it worked on an older system.

I previously have had a > 190 day uptime (without ACPI in the kernel, an older kernel of course, but I believe it is ACPI that caused the problem).

Also, I do have APIC in the kernel and always have it in the kernel; it is ACPI that caused the lockup.

HOWEVER:

My monitor was in power save mode (I run X on it), the caps lock & scroll lock key were flashing on and off (but not the num lock key) . there was nothing in the logs as to why it crashed (paniced), is there some way I can see what the panic message is if this ever happens again (even though it shouldn.t because I disabled ACPI)?

Perhaps using serial port..? or perhaps one of the network options for syslogd/errors/panics, but these are only for 2.6.x?

The reason why I don.t use 2.6.x yet is 2.4.x has patch-o-matic modules (h323,realplayer,msmedia conn trackers) that 2.6. does not seem to have.

Further question regarding iptables, will fragmented packets ever be able to be blocked/logged with connection trackers? (ie: A machine could theoretically be DoS.d and if they are using connection_trackers, they would not see it via iptables), only tcpdump/similar.

Thanks.