Re: why swap at all?

From: Martin Olsson
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 05:48:08 EST

Hi Linux-gurus,

I agree with Anthony Disante, maybe not all users want swapping. I have myself felt very annoying with swapping lately but I've not yet tried to disable it.

In school I've studied the swapping concept from a theoretical point
of view, and I fully understand the fact that swapping, if used properly, can both increase performance and provide a safe way to get out of a bad situation when the box runs out of memory. The problem is that in reality this does not work, not on Linux nor on Windows 2000 which I use at home. Unfortunately I cannot provide a specific reason why it does not work, I'm very much a end-user/desktop-user, I'm not a kernel hacker (yet). But I see two things that needs improvement atm:

A) when I do large data processing operations the computer is always very very slow afterwards

B) if I have X Mb of RAM then there should not be imho a single swap read/write until the whole of my X Mb RAM is completely stuffed, is this so today?

---

Also, imagine that I disable swap today and start a large data processing operation. During this operation I try to start a new process, here ideally the program should not OOM but instead the memory allocated for the data processing operation should be decreased. Is this possible using today's technology? Can be divide memory into two sorts, one for processes (here to stay memory) and another sort for batch operations (where the amount of memory does not really matter but less memory means less performance). I see the problem with "taking memory back" though, I guess its impossible.

Regards,
/m