Re: why swap at all?

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 03:59:51 EST

Anthony DiSante wrote:

As a general question about ram/swap and relating to some of the issues in this thread:

~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell

Consider this: I have a desktop system with 256MB ram, so I make a 256MB swap partition. So I have 512MB "memory" and if some process wants more, too bad, there is no more.

Now I buy another 256MB of ram, so I have 512MB of real memory. Why not just disable my swap completely now? I won't have increased my memory's size at all, but won't I have increased its performance lots?

This is correct. You now have 512M of fast memory instead of
256M fast memory and 256M "slow" memory. You don't _need_ to have additional
swap, but it is usually a good idea. If you keep your 256M of swap, then you now
have 512M fast memory + 256M slow memory for a total of 768M. This is even better.

Please note that your machine _will_ do one kind of swapping even if you
don't configure any swap: Executable files are a kind of swap-files,
if memory pressure happens then (part of) your programs will be evicted
from memory _because_ they can be reloaded from their executables.

This cause the same sort of performance degradations as swapping to
a swap partition. Actually, it is worse because swapping to a swap partition
allows swapping out little-used writeable memory before discarding
program code that might see more use. So if swapping happens, then
you're better off with a swap partition because then it is the least used
stuff that goes first. Without a swap partition, the least used program code
goes, but it may or may not be the least used memory overall.

Helge Hafting