Re: mlockall and mmap of IO devices don't mix

From: Joe Korty
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 16:33:11 EST

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 03:47:15PM -0400, Andrew Morton wrote:

>>> There's an utterly ancient patch in -mm which might fix this.

> That patch had its first birthday last week. I wrote it in response to
> some long-forgotten problem, failed to changelog it at the time then forgot
> why I wrote it. I kept it in the hope that I'd remember why I wrote it. I
> subsequently wrote a best-effort changelog but am unconvinced by it. Ho
> hum.
>
> Let me genuflect a bit. I guess we can be reasonably confident it won't
> break anything.

How about this for a ChangeLog (also created from memory and from some
of your inlined comments):

Do not follow pagetables for VM_IO regions, they might
not have pageframes.

Discovered when an mlockall'ed program tried to mmap
some device's registers (using /dev/mem); the program
hangs on the mmap, looping forever in get_user_pages(),
trying to do a follow_page() that never succeeds.

--
Joe
"Money can buy bandwidth, but latency is forever" -- John Mashey